Whether you are a barely there make up wearer or a Drag Queen there are a few styles of products that everyone must have in their make up bag.
My make up bag changes with whatever beauty counter has had a free gift on, so every month I have a new multi coloured bag to pull all of my unnecessary lipsticks out of. Obviously, I am more of a self confessed beauty lover and may have more than many when it comes to make up. Even so, I still have my ‘Desert Island’ products that I would never be without. This isn’t so much a ‘these are the exact products you must have’ post, more of a ‘you need something like this’ post.
Let’s get started…
- Primer. I am sorry, but I couldn’t bare to touch my face without having at least something separating my skincare from my makeup. You wouldn’t put a coat of Dulux on without priming your wall first, so treat your face with the same respect! I have an ever growing collection of primers however, so long if you have one in your makeup bag, then you’ll have amazing long lasting make up all day long! A few old faves of mine range from the Nyx Born To Glow Illuminating Primer to Make Up For Ever Hydrating Primer. I use these two religiously considering I have extremely dry skin and love a drop of radiance. If you are more oily can I suggest Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer or Nars Pore & Shine Control Primer as I have used both on clients with oily skin and the feedback has been excellent. Happy priming!
- Liner. I don’t care whether it’s a pencil, liquid, gel, powder or cream based product you owe it to yourself and to your eyes to purchase a perfect liner. I personally am a fan of liquid and gel, I own very few pencils. The pencils I do have are for enhancing eyeshadow looks however, for that perfect feline cat eye you have to have a fabby liner to help you along the way. I have gathered a disgusting collection in my time so far as a makeup artist. I can’t stray from Mac Blacktrack Gel Liner as I have tried them all on the market and this is the only one that takes the cake, guys. Liquid liner on the other hand, I have a few favourites for different reasons. My advice is pick the style that’s easiest for you to use and then perfect it! My tried and tested liquid liners are Maybelline Master Ink Matte Liquid for those that perfer a pot, Charlotte Tilbury Feline Flick or Kat Von D Tattoo Liner for those that prefer a pen style.
- Red Lipstick. Yes, you. There will come a time in every woman’s life where she will all of a sudden need to go from day to night and god forbid all you have is a bunch of rolled up tissues and an empty bottle of Diet Coke in your handbag. You will praise the day your read this article and you went and purchased an emergency red for such an occasion. I always have a red lipstick in the zippy part of my handbag, even in bags I am not using that day! I have a red stashed in every handbag just incase the need for it arises. I like to have a variety of my reds in different levels of intensity as I don’t always want to look like an emoji. For those of you who are shaking thinking about a red lipstick, why don’t you invest in a stain like The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain in ‘Red Pomegranate.’ Not only is this product the tits, it’s multi functional and a bargain at £8. It gives you that ‘your lips but better’ effect without going full of Marilyn Monroe.
For those who like a middle of the road, Goldilocks perfect style of red I can all but suggest Charlotte Tilbury again with her Hot Lips range in the shade ‘Tell Laura.‘ This is a gloriously fabby, orangey red which is seriously flattering against most skin tones. If something a little less bright is your bag Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy in ‘Envious’ is a universally loved shade. It gives just enough coverage on the lips without going overboard.
Myself on the other hand, when I wear a red my GOD I wear a red! As if you can’t tell that already from my profile picture… which by the way is Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lipstick in ‘Fire Starter.’ I am usually a Mac loving Ruby Woo, So Chaud wearing big red lip wannabe superstar. If you are looking one red lipstick to rule them all make it Ruby Woo, Mac. Countless times it tops the charts as the best red in the beauty world. If it were a singer it would be Ed Sheeran.
4. Spoolie brush. You have just got to trust me on this. When I used to talk about a Spoolie Brush pre-Cara Delevigne I would get laughed out of the place. Well, how you like me now?! A bigger bushier brow is the first thing my clients draw my attention to (as if I didn’t see…) is their brows. ‘Oh, forgive my brows I am getting them done next week’ or ‘I know, there’s hardly anything there I shaved them when I was 5.’ All I can say is, brush those hairs into place and it’ll be like your face has changed in an instant. The best thing about this post is that if you dont’ want to spend money on a brush you can buy a pack of disposable mascara wands and they will do the exact same thing! I do however float between Make Up For Ever Double Ended Brow and Eyelash Brush and Mac 204 Lash Brush. If you currently skip this step, please I am begging you – even if you have 3 hairs, do it! The difference is crazy.
5. Bronzer. Ah duh, who doesn’t love to transform themselves into a gorgeously, glowing glamazon who looks like they have lived in Dubai for the last decade? I know I do. Not much I can say for bronzer, to me bronzer is kind of like pizza in that even a bad one, is still a good one and you can make do with it. I like having small compact ones that I can take around with me, preferably one with a mirror (vain much?). Bronzer is great on the eyes too so don’t forget how multi functional this product is too! My current favourites are Mac Give Me Sun, Make Up For Ever Pro Bronze Fusion 20M and Chanel Soleil de Tan for those cream/gel bronzer lovers. Nyx’s Make Up Matte Bronzer is a great alternative for those on a budget (or for those prone to smashing bronzers… guilty).
6. Setting Spray. Yes, this may be extremely unnecessary for some and I thought so too until a few years ago, a lovely girl at Urban Decay talked me into getting a setting spray. I owe her. A lot. Setting spray changed my whole makeup game… not only does it feel refreshing AF, but sprays genuinely help the longevity of your makeup. WHY wouldn’t you want that? Again, I used an extreme variety of setting sprays however, that’s now mainly down to the fact I am enjoying collecting them. I like to look at them all on my shelf. It’s very satisfying getting to the end of a makeup application and dusting a decent bit of spray over your face to help lock in all that effort.
I use setting sprays to dampen my beauty blenders before application and my brushes before I use certain eyeshadows. Obviously, I can use good old H2O for that but why would I when I have an array of sprays?
First up, I love the Mac Fix Plus however, as setting sprays go it doesn’t set much? To me it just adds a little hydration and takes away that powdery cakey look from foundation. Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray is always a firm favourite and the first spray I ever bought (thank you lady). Make Up For Ever
once again getting a mention for their Mist & Fix Setting Spray, a spray that both sets and hydrates – DING DING DING – Winner! Basically every counter and brand have a setting spray on the market so my advice is pick a brand you love and try out theirs. Your skin will thank you.
Now, that’s quite enough from me. This post is now longer than the majority of essays I have written for school but with a far nicer content! Please comment and let me know what your must have products are because I will more than likely head out and buy the damn thing!
Also, let me know if you end up with anything I mentioned and tell me how you get on, I would love to hear.
Ciao Bellas xo
SKINKISSED SERUM – Remember you can still get 20% your order from the Skinkissed Website on their fantastic serum with the code cosmetics.junkiee-20
TO USE – enter code at checkout