Salut my lovely lil peaches!
So today’s blog post is not intended to be a rant in any way – but I know that’s exactly how it is going to end up. Before we get stuck in however, let me paint you a picture and make you jealous…
It’s Friday. Friday night. Friday nights are Amy nights. Joel is working late, I am nursing that sweet sweet bottle of wine, I have carbs in the oven and a selection of bangin’ movies ready to be watched. On the other end of the spectrum I lost a nail on each hand and it’s throwing me off typing properly… so in 20 seconds I’ve gone from relaxed typing in my happy place to angrily slamming the delete key because I made a mistake.
Anyway, let’s move on.
This list of products are items that I have used once or twice and effing hate and weren’t worth the money spent. Some of the products might surprise you as some are classed as ‘Beauty Must Haves’ but they simply just didn’t work for me. Saying that I don’t like a product doesn’t mean that I don’t like the brand itself, in fact some of the products I absolutely love the brands.
I have taken one item pretty much from every category of make up so read on to see what products I regret buying and will not repurchase!
- Benefit Porefessional. This one is just a serious NOPE for me and my skin which is a shame because I see SO many beauty bloggers and You Tubers rave about this product but for me, it dries me the hell out. When I put my foundation over it, the primer lifts off and then sits patchy over it. My skin is dryer so really I shouldn’t use this for my skin type anyway but whatever, it didn’t work for me and I will not be repurchasing!
- Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse. Okay, I guarantee this foundation will be someone’s number one go to and it is so hard to get the perfect foundation but this one is so far away from perfect I could feel my skin cry. It gave me pores and lines I didn’t even know I had. I really tried with this one, I actually used the whole bottle trying to make it work but it just wasn’t happening. Every time I wore it, it ended up seriously chalky. Coverage wise it ended up blotchy too, but it was deceiving because it looked great for the first half hour and then turned to shit.
- Laura Mercier Powder. I KNOW. I only bought this because every beauty blogger I watch uses it. This powder I don’t mind as much but it doesn’t last long on me at all. I bought it originally to ‘bake’ with, which was fine but it sucks so much moisture out of my skin that it makes me look even dryer than I already am. I would repurchase if there weren’t so many other great powders out there that I already have.
- Benefit Hoola Bronzer. Sorry to come for Benefit again, this one is just purely personal preference because I prefer a warm toned bronzer and this is probably the most cool toned bronzer I have ever used. In saying that, I don’t mind it as a contour shade but for the amount of times I actually contour it wouldn’t be worth repurchasing. I actually don’t like the packaging either, I always find that when I get to the end of my Benefit blushers I dig around the outside and lift too much product and it doesn’t go on nicely, you know?
- Charlotte Tilbury Beach Sticks. Not specifically this one, but all cream blush sticks ever. I hate them. All of them. I can’t get to grips with these products to be used over foundation, etc. Also, I myself am pretty familiar with how make up works but to a regular person this is definitely a ‘lie in drawer and never wear’ kind of product. I have tried blush sticks over and under powder, on their own with and without foundation and I just hate them. Sorry. Although ‘Beach Stick’… I like the name.
- Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade. I loved this product when it first came out, it was revolutionary and while I was on the thick instagram brow trend this product was brilliant. Since ABH came out with this, there have been so many dupes released and it just so happens that they are better. The ABH pomade goes dry after it’s been open awhile and can be hard to spread out so because there are so many other affordable products that are in my opinion better, that’s why it’s on this list. For those interested, my favourite dupes of this are Make Up Revolution Eye Brow Pomade and the NYX Tame and Frame Tinted Brow Pomade.
- Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette. Sooo, I will not be buying the other palettes (1,2 and 3) as well but not because I regret buying them. They were absolutely amazing at the time, amazing for when I was just starting out doing make up. As I have progressed in make up and learned more things and tried more brands I have just found that for the money I can get a lot more. The Smoky Palette however, I just couldn’t do anything with it. At the time that it came out I think that those who were interested in the Naked palettes could have done a smoky eye with the palettes they already had. To me, this is a waste of money because you don’t need a whole palette just to do a smoky eye. Not only that but the actual pigment in this palette wasn’t very strong and the colours were very hard to blend out and looked like a hot mess rather than a smoky eye.
- Kylie Jenner Lip Kits. Oh my God. Oh my God. I just hate these. I am not a huge liquid lipstick fan on the best of days but these ones in my opinion really suck. All liquid lips are drying so aside from that they are always blotchy on my lips, so to get a decent colour I either have to put down a lipstick first in the same colour which – what’s the point? Or I have to put on about 4 layers of the liquid lipstick and that dry AF. On the other hand – colours are lushhh.
That’s pretty much all I want to list as I don’t want this to drag on forever – because it could. With my job I buy a lot of products to try out and then review them to hopefully help people with what they should and shouldn’t buy. So don’t buy any of this.
LOVE YOU. Drop me a message about any products you have tried that have been horrible for you, I weirdly like hearing about products that sucked.